Kid Printables
Welcome to KidPrintables.com join for free search printables advertise blog
Member of the Moms Network Community of Sites - Providing Free Resource for Moms
kid printables boxes

color pages puzzles & games mazes word searches all about me book journals, logs & lists
printable awards birthday invites learning printables bingo cards thank you notes door hangers
stationery stickers lunch box notes coupons for kids message boards bookmarks

» Quick Clicks
Bonus Fun:

100's of Kids Crafts
   600 Children's Songs
   Kid Recipes
   Jokes for Kids

puzzles & games
coloring  pages
stationery & notepads
all about me book
word searches
lunch box notes
thank you cards
printable awards
stickers

Go Back   KidPrintable Boards > Chit Chat > Question of the Week

Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Question of the week - Nov 10 - Nov 17

As we know, most siblings bicker, fight and just plain like to bug each other. What do you do when your kids are not getting along, arguing or being mean to each other? Do you step in or let them work it out themselves?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Step in

I have 2 girls , one six years old and the littlest almost 3. My oldest has been jealous of the youngest since her little sister was born and has continued to be mean to her.
I always step in, take each one seperatly and explain to them , "that is your sister, you should love one another and get along with each other. "

It lasts a little while, but I know one day they will get along, because me and my older sister were the same way and now we love each other so much, and are best friends.

Mandi
Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Talking Siblings

Step in. I have a 6 year old and 2 year old and. My older one gets a little too rough and I tell her to be careful but she doesn't quite get it so she goes to her room if they can't get along.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:58 PM

my kids are ages 3, 7, and 10. I try to let them work things out between themselves. Sometimes I tell them to think of a compromise or to take turns or set a time limit. If they still cant get along I redirect them to seperate activities.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 PM

I let them try and work it out themselves. but most of the time I seperate them and have them do different things.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM

Wink Grandma of 6

It depends on how far it as escalated. If it is minor bickering, I let them try to work it out amongst themselves.
If it is a shouting match, I intervene and discuss the problem with them and how it can be worked out.
If they are being mean to each other, I separate them in different rooms or give them time outs - 1 minute for each age year. When time out is done, they then have to apologize to each other.
This worked with my children, and so far has worked with the grandsons.
With my two 1 year old granddaughters, all I usually have to say is "no, no" and they will quit. If not, then I put them in their crib or my play pen for about five minutes to cool off. They usually are ready to play when they get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin
As we know, most siblings bicker, fight and just plain like to bug each other. What do you do when your kids are not getting along, arguing or being mean to each other? Do you step in or let them work it out themselves?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Well, my daughter is an only child, but I can tell you that I would start out by seeing if they could work it out. If it got too bad then I would step in. To me that would be teaching them how to work out their own problems should the situation arrise with a friend and no one was there to step in. I can't always be there to fight my kids' battles for them, they have to learn sometime to stand on their own. JMO
Old 11-12-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Step In -
I think there are hazards associated with not stepping in. Things can escalate pretty quickly with kids. The size of the younger one, is often an decision for me, the older one likes to "lord" it over for that reason. And quickly they can discover reason to mistrust each other if things go on to long.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:22 PM

I would try to let them work it out. But when they are very young, they don't quite get that concept. So sometimes, let's say they are arguing over a toy, maybe the toy gets put in timeout and no one can play with it for a certain period of time. That way they realize there is a consequence.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:29 PM

We step in unless it is a petty argument or bickering. We will sit the boys down and make them discuss with each other what the problem is and how they feel it should be taken care of. They express their opinions one at a time and then we all discuss the proper thing to do and why. If it is a altercation that we feel might lead to swinging at each other and physical hitting we will take each of them off with one of us and discuss it with them; when they have calmed down we sit down with both of them.