Kid Printables
Welcome to KidPrintables.com join for free search printables advertise blog
Member of the Moms Network Community of Sites - Providing Free Resource for Moms
kid printables boxes

color pages puzzles & games mazes word searches all about me book journals, logs & lists
printable awards birthday invites learning printables bingo cards thank you notes door hangers
stationery stickers lunch box notes coupons for kids message boards bookmarks

» Quick Clicks
Bonus Fun:

100's of Kids Crafts
   600 Children's Songs
   Kid Recipes
   Jokes for Kids

puzzles & games
coloring  pages
stationery & notepads
all about me book
word searches
lunch box notes
thank you cards
printable awards
stickers

Old 09-07-2006, 06:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jhankerson10
Default Spider Pinata- STEP BY STEP PHOTOS

I HAVE TONS OF PHOTOS FOR THIS PROJECT- STEP BY STEP- IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME, LET ME KNOW I WILL EMAIL THEM TO YOU.

This super spider pinata would make a great item for a Spiderman themed birthday or for a Halloween party.

Materials:
balloon
paper mache paste
strips of newspaper
strips of white paper (3 sheets or so of old computer paper works well)
tinfoil
string
masking tape
candy or small toys
black and white tempra/poster paint (or black tissue paper or black napkins)
black construction paper

Instructions:

prepare your paper mache paste ("How to Paper Mache" section at bottom)

Blow up the balloon

Cover with 2 to 4 layers of newspaper paper mache and let it dry.
About 24 hours to dry unless you leave it somewhere sunny and warm
don't cover the tied part (this will be the hole for the pencils.)

Reach through the hole with a sharp pin and pop the balloon.
If you can, pull out the balloon bits
fill the balloon with candy and small toys. You can wrap any open candies in saran wrap or cellophane to keep them from getting dirty when they drop to the floor.

Crumple a piece of tinfoil to he desired size of the head

Paper mache the tinfoil piece

use masking tape and paper mache to attach the head piece to the body (closing up the opening.)

Also, use masking tape to attach a string loop to the spider where you want to hang it (you can attach the string from the bottom to make him look like he's hanging from his spider webbing)

Cover with 2 to 4 layers of white computer paper or tissue paper (it's much easier to paint over than newspaper!) and let dry

Cut 4 strips of construction paper per leg

Strips should be as long as you can make them

Hold 2 pieces of construction paper so they make an L shape, then fold, first one piece then another until you have an accordion folded leg

Tape the ends of the legs so they don't unravel -- tape two of the accordions together to make one long leg

Paint the spider black (with poster paint)

Tape on the legs

Use white tempra paint to add "extras" (eyes, mouth, etc)

You could also use other colors depending on the type of spider you're trying to make (a red mark on the back would be a black widow spider or the one that bit spiderman)

Hang spider from a string from the ceiling and then play the Pinata game...

Playing the Pinata Game.
Hang the pinata up from the ceiling. Each child gets a turn trying to break the pinata. Blindfold the child and give them a stick (a broom handle works well) -- make sure all the other children stand WELL back from the swinging! Turn the child around in a circle 2 or 3 times and point him or her in the direction of the pinata. The child gets to swing the stick 2 or 3 times.

Then another child gets a turn. When someone breaks the pinata, all the children get to gather the goodies. You might want to prewrap the goodies in bags so they don't get paper mache on them and so that each child gets and equal share -- this is especially useful when the children are of various ages.

TIP:

I use skipping ropes, to rope off a small circle inside a large circle.

The stick (and whoever is using it) stays inside the small circle. When the person's done using it, they have to put the stick down inside the small circle before they go back to the audience.

The audience stays outside the large circle

At most parties, remembering the rules of the circles becomes as much of a game for the kids as whacking the pinata.

How to Paper Mache

tear newspaper into strips

HINT: always make the last layer of mache with white computer paper or paper towel so that painting is easier. It takes FAR less paint. If you don't do this, consider priming the project with white acrylic paint before you let the kids at it with the poster paint

Make paper mache paste (there are many different options):

OPTION 1: 3/4 white glue to 1/4 water (or if using a good, thick glue, like elmers you can do 1/2 and 1/2)

OPTION 2: COOK METHOD: 1 part flour to 5 parts water... boil about 3 minutes and let cool (my favorite! it's the cheapest method and is nice and smooth)

OPTION 3: 1 part flour to 1 part water. Stir together.

NOTE: Humidity really does play a factor! If you live somewhere very humid, add less water (up to 1/4 less). I live in a very dry area.

NOTE: if you add a couple tablespoons of salt to your paper mache it will not mold.

Cover your project with no more than 4 layers of paper mache. I always tell the kids 2 layers as they ALWAYS overlap more than they should *laugh*

Let dry COMPLETELY.

Once again cover with no more than 4 layers.

Continue this process until it's as solid as you want it.

If making a pinata, tie a loop of string to a paper clip. Tape the paper clip onto the frame of the pinata before you start maching. Mache over top of the paper clip. Make sure not to mache over the string loop. Tie your rope onto the loop to hang your pinata.

Last edited by jhankerson10; 09-10-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: TO ADD NOTE ABOUT PHOTOS