Kid Printables
Welcome to KidPrintables.com join for free search printables advertise blog
Member of the Moms Network Community of Sites - Providing Free Resource for Moms
kid printables boxes

color pages puzzles & games mazes word searches all about me book journals, logs & lists
printable awards birthday invites learning printables bingo cards thank you notes door hangers
stationery stickers lunch box notes coupons for kids message boards bookmarks

» Quick Clicks
Bonus Fun:

100's of Kids Crafts
   600 Children's Songs
   Kid Recipes
   Jokes for Kids

puzzles & games
coloring  pages
stationery & notepads
all about me book
word searches
lunch box notes
thank you cards
printable awards
stickers

Go Back   KidPrintable Boards > Chit Chat > Question of the Week

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

I feel really bad for all those affected by the recession/economy issues. I'm Canadian (not sure how many member are..) and although our economy is falling, it's not quite as dire as in the US.

My husbands job is secure, I have been a SAHM for over 5 years and we are home owners. I did work when my grown daughter was young but not since our son was born. I have always been a thrifty shopper (from my single parent days! )

I use as many grocery coupons as I can, freebie/sample hunt online, enter contests as a profitable hobby, and recycle/reuse as I can. I only go to the hairdresser a few times a year if I need a major cut - trimming and colouring at home. I used to get my nails done (acrylic) but that has been cut out as too frivolous. I do not drive, so we are a one vehicle family. We chose out home on that basis - across from a school and within walking distance from shopping, parks, activities. I guess our lifestyle is a bit of the green/environmental friendly so we haven't had to cut out too many extras.
The biggest thing that has affected us is my husbands retirement savings dropping, with the market doing so poorly.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM

The price of gas is what affected us the most, I really cut out most of my driving. Now that gas is better I am now concentrating on keeping food price down. I have not bought as much and have been using up the stash of food purchased in great deals
Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Feelin' the crunch!

Yes, our family has been affected by the current economic situation. I lost my job of 21years last year just before Thanksgiving. My husband and I do not have health insurance, but the kids are on a statewide health plan, thank goodness. We have had to watch spending as much as possible. I am currently a full time student living on unemployment and what my husband makes in his computer repair shop. We have 5 kids in school and it has been really tight at times since his income fluctuates so much. I have to watch for sales at the grocery and plan meals according to what is on sale and sometimes that isn't easy. We are cutting back for Christmas this year also. I plan to make some of the gifts for family members. So far we are doing okay but bills keep going up and we keep trying to find ways to cut back here and there. We didn't turn on the central air this summer instead we bought box fans for all the rooms and that is what we used. So far we have not had the furnace on, we are using small ceramic heaters in each room. I hope it gets better soon.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM

It's not really affecting us very much because we don't have much of an income to begin with. We are always trying to find ways to cut back on food, gas, etc.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jhankerson10
Default life is sucking right about now

We have been greatly affected by the economy. I do a lot of volunteer work, and have upped it because it is more cost effective for me to volunteer in my 4yr olds class rather than drive back and forth. We are a single income family and I will not be able to afford to go back to work until our youngest is in school full day. The cost of child care alone makes it not worth it to go to work... all my money would go into childcare. My husbands job has recently come into consideration for closure... he works at a prison. We don't do much family related activities outside of the house as we live pretty far from everything and the gas alone was making it harder to afford.(we are holding our breath for how long the prices will stay down) Due to the gas prices and me having to drive my 4 yr old 15 miles each way to school, we have really gotten behind in the bills, with no relief in sight, it seems to be pretty grim. When my husband got out of the Marines last year, they charged us 12,000 dollars because we were over our weight for our household shipment and it looks like we wont see relief from our tax return for at least 3 yrs. Life just keeps getting better...not! (got a letter from lawyers... federal govt is now coming after us for it)(we really cant afford to lose anything else... guess the internet goes off... and cable we hadnt had in several years goes too...and long distance....and the list goes on, and on...)

Last edited by jhankerson10; 11-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM

For us the biggest thing was to cut out eating out as much as we did in the past. We didn't eat out that much, but I noticed the prices increasing as gas prices went up.

Fortunately my husband still has his job, but his company put a hold on the raise he was supposed to get. Thankfully we weren't counting on the extra money for anything. I just paid off my son's braces so that will save us $100 a month. I consider ourselves lucky compared to some who are out of work right now and losing their homes.