View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

I feel really bad for all those affected by the recession/economy issues. I'm Canadian (not sure how many member are..) and although our economy is falling, it's not quite as dire as in the US.

My husbands job is secure, I have been a SAHM for over 5 years and we are home owners. I did work when my grown daughter was young but not since our son was born. I have always been a thrifty shopper (from my single parent days! )

I use as many grocery coupons as I can, freebie/sample hunt online, enter contests as a profitable hobby, and recycle/reuse as I can. I only go to the hairdresser a few times a year if I need a major cut - trimming and colouring at home. I used to get my nails done (acrylic) but that has been cut out as too frivolous. I do not drive, so we are a one vehicle family. We chose out home on that basis - across from a school and within walking distance from shopping, parks, activities. I guess our lifestyle is a bit of the green/environmental friendly so we haven't had to cut out too many extras.
The biggest thing that has affected us is my husbands retirement savings dropping, with the market doing so poorly.