KidPrintable Boards

KidPrintable Boards (http://www.kidprintables.com/boards/index.php)
-   Television (http://www.kidprintables.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   disappointed with television choices (http://www.kidprintables.com/boards/showthread.php?t=142)

Admin 07-30-2006 11:51 AM

disappointed with television choices

remember back in the 'old days' before cable and you could find SOMETHING that a kid could watch.... I hate the fact that on the regular channels, there just is hardly anything that your kid can see. And cable... oh boy - talk about a garbage pit! There are some great stations on cable for kids... well, a few.... but even on those they will at times have programming and content that is objectionable. And to get those stations, you get the rest of the cable channels which are filled with images and words a child should not be seeing.

What is amazing is that I think most parents feel this way but have no pull it seems to the shows and programs that are actually put out there.

mama43 07-30-2006 02:44 PM

I agree...

cable is the way we go...but we don't watch that much any way...we are big sports fans...so there usually some sort of game on...:D

LoveBug 07-30-2006 04:12 PM

We don't have cable so my son enjoys watching PBS shows. He likes Arthur, Barney, Between the Lions, Clifford, Dragon Tales, It's a Big Big World, Jakers!, Mister. Rogers and Seaseme Street.

He watches the Nick Jr. programs Saturday morning on CBS.

If we had cable he would more than likely watch Sprout.

LarryTheCucumber 07-30-2006 04:39 PM

This is why I just buy DVDs I know are good and that the kids will enjoy. That way I know exactly what i'm letting them watch. Most TV is just garbage now.

JoyfulHomeAndFamily 07-30-2006 04:46 PM

My kids are just 4 and 2 1/2 right now, so choices are easier. But I imagine that as they get older it will become much more difficult. For now, I only let them watch shows on Playhouse Disney and Noggin. Other than that, it's DVDs all the way! :)

Sadly, though, it seems that those of us who feel this way are actually in the minority. We should start a "back to good morals and old fashioned values" movement.

Blessings,
Christy

ANGSWIN 07-31-2006 09:54 AM

I agree!

TV is a reflection of the society that we have become... *** & violence! This is not what I want my child seeing.

We do have cable, but mainly we watch old movies, History, or Discovery. For my 3 year old, we watch PBS, Nick Jr, & Disney (the morning shows - the afternoons are geared towards the older kids.) Mostly she watches DVDs - Veggie Tales, Sesame Street, Dora, Blues Clues, Scooby-Doo, and some Disney/Pixar or Dreamworks movies.

angelmom79 07-31-2006 12:16 PM

we have cable and my kids watch some of the nick jr shows,,nickelodean shows and some of the disney channel shows they also like pbs... But thats mostly all they watch on cable..

vivere 08-03-2006 03:54 PM

Our children watch very little "real tv". Most of what they see is either in DVD, video, or recorded form. If we see something we approve of, we'll record it for them. Our son is five, and he is more interested in watching tv than our three year old daughter.

Some of the popular stuff at our house:

veggie tales
postman pat
fireman sam
tikkabilla
smarteenies
pengu
andy pandy
moomin
snoopy/peanuts

fancyfire 08-07-2006 11:11 AM

The shows we watch are

Barney
Veggie Tales
Arthur
Clifford
Between the Lions
Dragon Tales
Dora
Blue's Clue's

There are other's but I can't remember .... shows I do NOT like are the more 'modern' shows like Digimon. I never really cared for power puff girls for some reason.

I remember when I was a child, the only real cartoons was Saturday morning cartoons till noon. We had no cable, just good ole reg tv with an antenna.
Nowdays on reg TV. I dont even think they have Sat morning cartoons.

I also recall for certain holidays they had specials. Charlie Brown/great pumpkin. Christmas had Rudolph, Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty the snow man, Little Drummer Boy. Once a year The Wizard of Oz came out.
It was all so exciting to see these 'specials' as a kid growing up *am I giving away my age? *:D

Its just not the same anymore :(

I was sitting the other day as I scanned thru all the cable channels trying to find something decent for ME to watch... there was a day before tv's existed and people managed to stay busy, happy, entertained. The simple things in life was enough.

Seems like today its all about computers, vidoe games, cable tv, cell phones.

I think Im going to start having a weekly electronic free night for the family.
Just play board games, tell stories etc.

mommymare 03-26-2007 06:34 PM

I am sickened by TV! Last week I was watching SpongeBob with the kids, I think it was about 4 or 5pm and a Victoria's Secret commercial came on! I was so furious I went to send an email. Guess what? The owners of MTV own Nick! It figures!
Stick with what we know works; DVDs, Veggie Tales, no TV!